26 December 2008

Sick...

I don't typically get sick that often, at least over the past 4 years while I was at Biola. However, since coming to France, I have already been sick more times that I was all those four years combined. I am not sure if it is the weather changes, the fact that i live in the basement, being around kids 24/7, or what, but it is NOT fun. I feel like I get a few days rest before my next illness hits me. It's not anything major, I mean, I just have a cold, or a sore throat, or something like that. It's just annoying, more than anything. The most recent one was the worst. My host family left on Sunday for Egypt. I was sitting in church when I started coughing. nothing major. well, i woke up the next morning with a fever and everything fun that comes with that. I drugged myself with quite a bit of tylenol, cough syrup, cold medecine, basically anything i could find. it stuck with me for 2 days like that before my mom told me I should just go to the doctor.

National Healthcare...
France has national healthcare. It has been quite the journey for me getting all my temporary residency set up and I still haven't finished. I am at the point where I am just waiting for my carte de sejour and my carte vitale to arrive. I have done all the steps on my part (i think). I have been dreading having to go to the doctor because of this. I didnt know if I was going to be charged an outrageous amount of money, or what. I was hoping not to have to find out. Well, the time came and I just had to suck it up and go to the doctor. My experience was NOTHING like going to a doctor in the states.

First of all, when I called to make an appointment, they just asked if i could be there in a half hour. They didn't take my name, they didn't ask what my symptoms were, nothing. When I showed up, there was no reception desk. I didn't have to sign in, or even let anyone know I was there. I just went straight into the waiting room that had about 3 other people in it. Every few minutes (like 15) the doctor would come into the waiting room to take the next person. You just had to know what order you got there in. It was so strange. So it came to my turn and I followed the doctor into his office. He had no nurse or anything. He was running the whole office. He was even answering the phones. He asked me my name and then what was wrong. I never had to fill out paperwork (amazing!), I never had to give him my address or any sort of identification. He did obviously ask the questions about allergies or major health problems. He was extremely patient and kind with me, which is definitely different than what I feel in the states. He was willing to listen to my questions and answer them with sincerity. It was wonderful. At the end, he asked if I had my carte vitale and I told him the story of how I am waiting for it in the mail. He charged me 22 euros and sent me on my way with a paper to take to the pharmacist. It was a great experience. The only difference when I get my carte vitale is that I will be able to get another piece of paper from him that I can send in and get the money reimboursed into my bank. So that will be nice. I think I'm all for national healthcare. I haven't seen the downsides of it yet.

So anyways, I didn't have anything serious, just a viral infection of some sort. He gave me some different medicines and told me to take it easy. I feel much better since then and am ready to finally feel completly healthy. I was looking forward to relaxing in my house while the family was gone, but my getting sick kinda put a damper on that. Oh well...

I'm looking forward to the next week because everyone should start getting back from their Christmas breaks. Brandon is coming, my host family gets back, chandra will be here just after new years, and everyone else will be trickling in throughout the next week and a half or so. It will be nice to have everyone back, as it's been a little lonely here all by myself.

Hope everyone has a safe New Years, wherever you will be!

3 comments:

mimi said...

Hey I just found your blog and read the article about illnesses. I can tell you its the same with me. I'm an au-pair in paris since 6 months and i was 7 times ill.
Hope you're feeling better.
Happy Christmas and happy new year.

Sarrah D. said...

If you want to see the down side of national healthcare look at the lack of people willing to work in the medical field. National Heatlh care takes away competative pay rates. Also, because any/everyone gets medical attention so easily, the wait for major medical procedures can take a very long time. My husband works in the med. field and he said there are people coming over to America from Canada all the time because we pay so much better.

Anonymous said...

As always I enjoy reading your blog. I hope you are still feeling better and having a great time with Brandon. Great to talk to you recently. Love you much!!