26 September 2008

A new school

sorry for not posting much lately. I haven't had internet at all. but anyways, this might be a long one so hopefully that will make up for all the days i have missed.


So I started my French school this week. I have class on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 9-11 am. I am in a class with 14 other au pairs who are all at the same level of french as me. There are girls from all over. the majority are from Germany, one is from canada, another from the US, one is from Maldives, one from New Zealand, one from Sweden, and I don't remember the others. It's cool because since we are from all over the world, we really don't have a common language except french. Therefore, the entire class is conducted in french. its hard but so much better for me. Our teacher's name is Olga and she is probably in her early 30's. She seems fun and nice so far. So basically all we have done so far is just introduce ourselves, do a bunch of group activities, writing exercises, etc. we have covered some of the basic grammar things that we are supposed to already know. it was nice to have the little refresher because it has been quite awhile since i have really studied french. The girls in my class seem to be pretty nice. I have gotten to know one of the german girls pretty well because we take the same train to school. so when we discovered that we started sitting together and chatting. The school is about 10 minutes by train. I also found out that she has the same religious beliefs as me so that is pretty cool. This weekend we are going to go to a french church together. it should be fun.

as for school though, we have a little bit of homework each night and so far it's been kind of fun. The family I live with has been great at helping me. They all enjoy "teaching" me the stuff and correcting the stuff after i do it. it's fun.

Now that I have started school, I am finally in a regular schedule. I thought you guys might be interested to know what a normal day looks like for me.

7:30- wake up
8:15- walk with Manon (the 8 year old) to her school
8:30- walk to the train station where i wait for the train to take me to my school
9:00- in school until 11
11:00- get back on the train to go back to Le Vesinet
11:20- pick up some groceries or something at the store
11:40- Pick up Manon at school for lunch
12:00- make lunch for the 3 kids and myself
1:00- take manon back to school
1:30- some days i will take this time to get stuff done around the house, like ironing, cleaning, dishes, laundry, etc. other times i'll go to the library and use the internet. other times i go to another Family's house where I babysit their children. the latter is what i have been doing so far this week. It's nice because it gives me the opportunity to make some extra money.
4:15- leave to pick up Manon
4:30- on Tuesdays and Thursdays i have to drive to pick her up and then take her and a friend to their gymnastics lessons. on the other days, i just walk and we go back to the house.
5:00- help the kids with their homework, clean, do my homework, play with Manon, etc.
7:00- start making dinner
7:30- eat dinner
8:00- one or both of the parents arrive home and I am free for the rest of the night. Sometimes i will stay at home and do homework, play games on my computer, watch tv, watch a movie, etc. sometimes i'll go over to one of my friends houses and use their internet or just hang out. sometimes a few of us will go into paris for dessert or coffee or wine and just walk around the different areas. Then i go home and go to bed.

that is a typical day for me. nothing too exciting, but busy nonetheless.

well i suppose that is enough for now. if you have questions or want me to write about something in particular just leave me a comment or email me. i want this to be interesting for you guys. i'm not doing it for myself. so if you want to know something just ask.

1 comment:

Megan Langford said...

busy busy!! but it sounds like you're getting into a routine. i'm jealously living vicariously through your blog, so keep it up! i heard ladonna's coming over in october, sweeet!